Laurie has written extensively on issues of economics and politics for openDemocracy, the New Economics Foundation, the Guardian and the New Statesman. He also regularly appears as an economic analyst on major broadcasters.
All Laurie’s writing and media appearances are archived on this website, and can be navigated by category or date on the right hand side of this page.
If you would like to commission Laurie for writing or broadcast media work then please contact email@example.com
Laurie is a independent economics consultant, and currently advises a number of civil society and public sector organisations on a freelance basis. Prior to this Laurie was formerly Senior Economist at the New Economics Foundation, the UK’s leading think tank promoting social, economic and environmental justice. He is an Associate Fellow at the Institute for Innovation and Public Purpose at University College London, which focuses on how public policy can be used to direct innovation to tackle societal and technological challenges.
Laurie’s work focuses on communicating new ways of understanding the economy which recognise the complex political, social and environmental systems which make up the real world, and formulating new policy ideas to promote a more just and sustainable economy. A sample of Laurie’s research and policy work can be found below. If you would like to commission Laurie to do research or policy work please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- ‘The housing land market in Scotland: A discussion paper’ (2017) Scottish Land Commission. Available here.
- ‘Still exposed: The UK’s Financial system in the era of Brexit’ (2017) New Economics Foundation. Available here.
- ‘How to Fix the Housing Crisis: Take Land Seriously’ (2017) New Economics Foundation. Available here.
- ‘Making Money from Making Money: Seigniorage in the Modern Economy’ (2017) New Economics Foundation. Available here.
- ‘Seigniorage in the 21st Century: A Study of the Profits from Money Creation in the United Kingdom and Denmark’ (2017) Available at SSRN.
- ‘Blueprint for Scottish National Investment Bank’ (2016) New Economics Foundation/Common Weal. Available here.
- ‘Taking Control of RBS: People-powered banking that puts communities first’ (2016) New Economics Foundation. Available here.
- ‘Back to the Future: Why the Revival of Securitisation Threatens Our Economy’ (2016) New Economics Foundation
- ‘The Great British Sell Off’ (2016) We Own It. Available here.
- ‘Investing in the Good Society’ (2013) Jimmy Reid Foundation. Available here.